I was fortunate to get into the top 30 of ABS-CBN’s Junior Masterchef Pinoy Edition. Many thanks to my dish, Seafood curry. I would like to share this recipe with you. Enjoy!
Seafood Curry by Eco Feria
3 tbsp olive oil
200g Creamy Dory fish fillet
200g medium-sized shrimps, deveined
15 pc large scallops, removed from shell (reserve shells for plating)
1 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic , crushed
2 pcs dried chillies, sliced thinly
400 ml fresh coconut cream
1 small bell pepper (red or green) , cut into 1/2 inch small cubes
juice from 1 fresh lime
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. fish sauce
Thai curry paste
two basil leaves , chopped
two large basil leaves (whole) for plating
Two giant capsicums , for plating (Make sure that capsicums can stand on their own)
How to cook:
1. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil into a non stick pan.
2. Slice fish fillet into 1-inch squares. Coat with cornstarch. Add fish fillet squares to pan. Cook each side for about 2 minutes. Set aside. Leave the oil in the pan.
3. Add deveined shrimp to heated wok. Cook for about 30 seconds or until slightly pink in color. Do not overcook. Remove cooked shrimps and set aside.
4 . Add chopped onions, ginger and garlic and dried chilies. Cook until garlic is slightly brown.
5. Add curry paste. Cook until oil from curry paste separates.
6. Add coconut cream. Add fish sauce , black pepper and chopped basil leaves . Cook until it boils. Add scallops, fish fillet and cubed bell pepper. Add all except two shrimps.(The two excluded shrimps will be used for plating)
7. Wait for mixture to boil again. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Make sure mixture does not dry out. (Add a tbsp of water if it does. ) Drizzle with lime juice.
8. Slice top of giant capsicums. Remove the seeds but reserve the tops. Place capsicums on top of a flat plate.
9. Halve seafood curry and transfer each half to the two giant capsicums . Place two shrimps on top of one of the capsicums with the seafood curry. Place the two whole basil leaves on top of the other one. Place capsicum covers where desired (on top or at the side).
Place two scallop shells on the plate. Put fish sauce on one scallop shell . Place sliced lime on top of the other scallop shell.
Place excess seafood curry into separate bowl.