My grandmother taught me to cook this dish. It is a delight to eat because it is soft and creamy. I uploaded a video of how I cooked this dish on Youtube. Click below:
For more recipes , please buy my book at
Lengua in Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 kg. ox tongue (lengua)
a pot of boiling water
2 tbsp. liquid seasoning
1 tsp. allspice powder
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 head of garlic, crushed
1 medium sized onion, diced
200 g. button mushrooms
1 can mushroom soup (10 oz.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Put vinegar and lengua in a pot of boiling water.
2. Cover and let boil for about 1 hour or until the skin bulges. Then turn off the heat and remove the ox tongue. Do not discard the broth.
3. Peel the skin after cooling for about two minutes. You could use butter knife and a fork if it is too hot to handle with your bare hands.
4. Add all spice and liquid seasoning to the broth.
5. Return the peeled ox tongue to the seasoned broth. Let boil for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until there is no more blood.
6. Slice the ox tongue thinly, about 1/4 inch or less.
7. Add oil and butter to a heated pan and saute onion and garlic.
8. Add the ox tongue slices. Cook for about 2 minutes until both sides are brown.
9. Scoop 2 1/2 cups of the broth and pour onto ox tongue slices.
10. Mix in the mushrooms and the can of condensed mushroom soup. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Let boil for 15 minutes.
12. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy!